Zwiebelkuchen is a favorite fall dish in Germany. Similar to a quiche, this savory “onion cake” is quick and easy to make with just a few ingredients. Serve with a green salad and a cider for the perfect autumnal meal!
For the crust:
- 200g Flour
- 100g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 4 TBSP Water
- 1TSP Salt
For the filling:
- 1000g Onions
- 100g of Butter
- 3 Beaten Eggs
- 200g Creme Fraiche or Schmand
- 100g Bacon Bits
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: a pinch of Black Cumin (Schwarzkümmel)
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Lightly grease and flour a quiche pan.
- Add all of the crust ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until a dough forms. If the dough is very sticky, slowly add more flour.
- Press dough into the pan, set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- In a large saucepan, cook onions and butter on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- While the onions cook, combine the eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked onions to egg mixture, then pour onto the dough.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over the top of the filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then enjoy!