You’re probably thinking, “Chili? Bean there, done that”……But you have another thing cumin.
This recipe is my adaption of our mom’s Italian Chili. I love how the spicy kick of red pepper and combines with the savory, nostalgic flavors. And if you’re as lazy as I am, you can survive on leftovers for a week.
It’s getting very chili outdoors and this recipe pairs well with getting cozy, stewing in pj’s and binge watching Making a Murderer Part Two.
- A large soup pot
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp Knife
- Can opener
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 (ish) pounds of ground veal
- 1.5 (ish) pounds of ground spicy Italian sausage
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced large yellow onion
- ¾ cup pepperoni cut into quarters
- 1 package of zesty Italian Dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¾ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tiny can of tomato paste
- 1.5 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 oz. chicken broth
- 2 large cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 regular sized cans of kidney beans
- 1 regular can cannellini beans
- Parmesan cheese
- Crispy onions
- Sour cream
Now we’re cooking!
- Prepare the onions, garlic and pepperoni.
- Brown the spicy Italian sausage and veal in the soup pot.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, pepperoni, and onion. Continue to “brown” until the Onion and garlic are soft and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, wine, Italian dressing mix, oregano, onion salt, garlic powder, red chili powder, and black pepper. Reduce for 10 minutes stirring often.
- Add the cans of whole peeled tomatoes but DO NOT drain them (The tomato juice is part of it) and chicken broth.
- Allow to simmer for 2(ish) hours.
- Serve and garnish with parmesan, sour cream, crispy onions, and basil
IT’S SOUP SEASON PEOPLE!!!
Recipe is my own but also kind of our mom’s
Photos are by Annie Mitchell