After a year in rural Germany, I find myself exploring the “cottagecore” movement more and more. Evening walks through orchards, freshly baked goods and Taylor Swift’s Folklore make frequent appearances in my days. While I’m still pretty far from the idealized Instagram aesthetic, the cottagecore lifestyle definitely FEELS attainable here!
Many of the elements that make up cottagecore line up with what my neighbors already value. People here grow their own vegetables, shop at local markets and bake like you wouldn’t believe. Especially now in the time of COVID-19, it seems reasonable that we all are taking more time to appreciate the simple things in life.
If you’re thinking dipping your toe in this pastoral well, this is the place to start! After the gallery, I’ve shared a recipe for the easiest cobbler you’ll ever make. Put on “Cardigan” and jump in!
Mixed Berry Cobbler
- 4 TBSP Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1.5 TSP Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Mixed Berries (I used blackberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- Preheat your oven to 140°C (350°).
- In a well seasoned cast-iron skillet, melt the butter on low.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the milk to the flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Pour batter over melted butter in skillet.
- Drop in berries evenly over batter.
- Transfer skillet to oven, bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream!
There you have it- the easiest baked dessert of all time! To make baking even easier if you are an American baking in Europe, I definitely recommend this cute kitchen conversion chart! I have it up in my kitchen and use at least once a day.
How are you exploring cottagecore?