It’s another snowy day here in Milwaukee! For a lot of people, that means a long, stressful commute. Fortunately for us, I had some Freezer Breakfast Burritos tucked away from our last major cold snap! In under three minutes, I had a tasty warm breakfast before heading out to battle the elements.
These burritos are so easy to make and freeze beautifully. Since you can serve them all at once or heat them up individually, these are my go-to meal for my friends who are new moms. I made this last batch with the intention of storing them for quick breakfasts during the week, but life had different plans. We had a crazy flood at work on the coldest day of the year (-23 before windchill!), so I ended up bringing them over to the people who were working to stop the damage. It was an easy way to feed people who had literally five minutes to rest- just unwrap and zap!
Like many of my recipes, these Freezer Breakfast Burritos are easy to modify. I like to use breakfast sausage AND bacon, but if you’ve got more self control than I do you could easily just choose one, or use a meat substitute. While you’re assembling the burritos, give yourself plenty of room to work! The wrapping process goes very quickly with all of your supplies handy.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- 1 LB Jimmy Dean Regular Breakfast Sausage
- 4 Strips of Bacon, Diced
- 1/2 Red Onion, Diced
- 1/2 Red Pepper, Diced
- 1 4oz Can Diced Green Chilis, Drained
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Hash-browns, Shredded or Country Style
- 8 Large Eggs
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese (I like the Nacho Taco Blend)
- 10 Burrito Sized Tortillas
- In a large nonstick pan, brown sausage and bacon over medium.
- Add onions and peppers, cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add green chilis and potatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl, scramble the eggs.
- Mix shredded cheese, salt and pepper into the eggs.
- Add egg mixture to the pan, cook until eggs are set.
- Spoon 1/2-3/4 cup egg/sausage mixture on to a tortilla, wrap.
- Serve immediately, or wrap burritos in aluminum foil and place in freezer.
It’s that simple! When you’re ready to reheat your Freezer Breakfast Burrito, remove the foil and microwave for a minute. Flip the burrito over, microwave for another 60 seconds, and enjoy!
Recipe and images are my own.